Even if you enjoy going to new places, traveling can be tiresome. Security concerns have made getting through the airport a hassle, and airfare rates are nothing to sneeze at. These are some of the reasons why online conferencing has become a much more attractive option.
Online conferencing is simply a meeting conducted over the Internet. In its most basic form, it can be done with little more than a chat room or instant messaging software. But for maximum functionality, you can purchase online conferencing software and use audio, either online or over the phone. You can also use video if you like.
Here are some reasons to give online conferencing a try:
1. Online conferencing gives you the potential for a better turnout. Due to travel difficulties and schedule conflicts that can arise with face-to-face meetings, holding your conference online can allow more people to come. Online conferencing also saves participants money and keeps them from having to leave their families behind for several days at a time to attend.
2. Online conferencing is less expensive and more convenient for you. Holding a conference at a physical location is no small undertaking. You have to secure a location, purchase decorations and refreshments, and print out materials for the attendees. Even a small face-to-face meeting requires a certain amount of scheduling and expense. Having your conference online is more economical and less stressful.
3. Having an online conference provides a great deal of flexibility. You can collaborate on projects, make presentations with streaming video, and have discussions via the phone or chat. Questions may be asked by phone, email or instant message, or even by video.
4. With online conferencing, everyone gets a front row seat. Participants are responsible for making their own accommodations. If they need to turn up the volume to hear you or adjust their screen resolution to see things better, they can do it. They don't have to worry about getting stuck sitting behind someone who is a foot taller than them and not being able to see what's going on.
5. You can easily make your conference available on demand. Most online conferencing providers offer the option to record your conference and make it available by download or streaming audio or video on your website. This way those who were unable to attend can see what they missed. You might also choose to make transcripts available for those who prefer them.
Online conferences have not replaced face-to-face meetings, but they have lots of advantages over them. They are convenient and inexpensive for everyone involved, and they often result in better turnouts. Online conferences are great for seminars, project collaboration, and much more.